Saturday, March 20, 2010

Crockpot Salsa Chicken

I fear that I am starting to form a slightly unhealthy relationship with my crockpot... I LOVE being able to put together a meal, throw it all in the crockpot and then have it be ready by the time that L and I get home from work.  So far, I've made the Tikka Masala chicken, good ol' trusty chicken with cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup, and now I've tried my hand at salsa chicken.  Normally, I'm not a huge fan of salsa (unless it's on my tortilla chips), and was hesitant to make this, but it turned out to be one of the easiest, tastiest, most versatile meal I've made so far.  I was originally going to eat it fajita or taco- style, but I had a craving for jasmine rice, so this evening I am trying it on top of rice with a tortilla for dipping on the side.  If I were feeling up to it, I could have added more condiments and created a burrito, or I could have added a bit of chicken stock to create more of a soup like meal.  Salsa chicken is definitely making its way into our meal rotations and is a great, low labor dinner!

Crockpot Salsa Chicken
2 boneless chicken breasts
30oz. of salsa
1 package frozen corn
1 can drained black beans
1 block Cream Cheese (about 8oz.)

Place the chicken breasts in the crockpot (if using frozen chicken, add about 1 cup of water to the bottom of the pot)
Cover chicken with salsa
Add corn and beans, and stir into salsa.
Let cook on low heat for 6-8 hours (if using frozen chicken, 8-9 hours)
Spoon out the chicken from the salsa and shred the meat.
Stir the shredded chicken back into the salsa.
Add cream cheese.  Let it heat up for about 15 minutes and then stir in the cream cheese until smooth.
Turn crockpot onto "warm" and serve in which ever fashion you desire!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment