Monday, November 23, 2009

Inspector Gadget

Land I are still in the negotiation process with this new house, but we've been able to agree on one offer so far, but that is pending the inspection and whether or not there is more work that needs to be done on the house resulting in us asking the seller to either fix it or take it off the purchase price. Inspector M was great today and we still feel comfortable moving forward with attempting to purchase this house. This is the furthest we've gotten in the house buying process, and we've got a pretty good feeling about this one. We're meeting again with D tomorrow morning to write an addendum, but we most likely won't have any new information until after Thanksgiving. So, until then, have a happy and safe holiday, eat too much food, and check back next week for a (hopefully) positive update!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009


...that the third time's a charm! We definitely didn't think that we would find another house so quickly, but after looking at 3 houses yesterday afternoon, we walked away knowing that we wanted to put in an offer on the second house we saw and didn't even need schedule another viewing.

Time line went something like this: 10am- D asks if we would like to see houses that afternoon, we say yes. 12:30pm- see first house, disregard it at once. 1pm- see second house, talk about wanting to put in an offer right away, but should see other house just to make sure. 1:30pm- see third house, reconfirms that we really liked second house, decided to put in offer on second house. 6:45pm- arrive at D's house, 8:30pm- purchase offer sent to listing agent.

L and I are taking the uber-cautious approach and aren't going to disclose many details about it or get to hyped up about the house until we finish the negotiations, etc. So, in the meantime, keep your fingers crossed that this all works out for us!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Back to Square One

F uck.

After some back and forth negotiating on The Cottage house, the sellers have decided to cancel their listing.

What is wrong with people?? Why can't they figure out how much they can actually afford to sell their house for before listing it, and before negotiating with a potential buyer? They've wasted a week and a half of our time- time that could have been spent looking at other houses and not getting our hopes up.

This feels worse than the let down we got with the LYH. We actually truly believed that we would be moving into this house before Christmas, but instead we'll be putting up a little tree in our shithole apartment for the 4th year in a row.


Monday, November 2, 2009

Purchase Offer #2

A s promised, here's an update from today's house hunting Monday:

While we were looking forward to checking off a few more potential houses on our "must see" list, neither of the listing agents got back to D, so we just went to go see The Cottage this afternoon. I had been a bit worried that I wasn't going to like the house as much as I did 2 weeks ago, but after walking into the living room and and strolling around the rest of the house, I knew that this was still the house. D had us go through without him following so that we could be sure that this was the house for us, so L and I had a good chance to talk through the house without worrying about out opinions being swayed one way or another by someone other than us. The house has to be what WE want, not what other people want, so this was a good move on D's behalf.

After we walked through, we decided that we wanted to put in an offer tonight, so we walked through one more time with D and looked closely for things that would need to be fixed and to make sure the water pressure was good and that the gas stove worked. The stucco is in really good shape and the only major fix that needs to be done is that the roof on the garage needs to be fixed, as the shingles are at the end of their life (which we can use to our advantage for negotiation purposes). We left D that afternoon only to meet up with him again after a quick dinner at 7:30 and after signature upon signature we were finally done and the purchase agreement is ready to be sent in tomorrow morning (which is contingent upon the cancellation of the prior purchase agreement we sent in 2 months ago for the LYH). Since we will be dealing with real people instead of a crappy bank, we're hoping that we'll hear something before the end of the week and that our first house will be closer than ever.

Again, keep your fingers crossed for us! We could use all the luck we can get right now.