Friday, December 18, 2009

Home Sweet Home

It's amazing how quickly a strange house can start feeling like one's home. We've only been living here for about 2 days, and while there is still the random noise that sounds every once and a while that makes me jump, this house feels like it is ours.

Here's an update on what has been going on with us the last 5 days:

Monday- We were scheduled to close at 8:30am at the Roseville office. It had been snowing a bit the night before, and since we were driving there during the morning rush hour, traffic was pretty horrendous. We somehow missed our turn, had to turn around, drive in even worse traffic, and were about 10 minutes late. Apparently everyone was running late, because after our mortgage broker's assistant, the seller, and our closer we were amongst the first there (we were still waiting on the listing agent, the seller's daughter, the seller's closer, and D- our realtor). After everyone finally arrived, I was able to supervise L sign his name an ungodly amount of times (one time our closer had L make his middle initial more clear- it looked like a C rather than an A), and there were even some documents for me to sign as well (I haven't had to sign anything since we decided to use D as our realtor). After all the documents were signed by both L and the seller, we had to wait on TCF to fax something over to the office for about an hour. While this is something that could have upset some people, that hour turned out to be a great time for L and I to talk with the seller and his daughter about the house and the area. After, L and I realized how sad the seller must have been- he'd lived here for over 44 years, raised his daughter, and eventually lost his wife while living in this house... Anyways, we got the keys, celebrated at The Olive Garden down the street, and then made a couple trips with my parent's Ford Excursion from the apartment to the house with the help of B.

Tuesday- I don't know how we though that we'd be able to move by only using the Excursion and be done by Monday night. Thank goodness we had the common sense to rent a moving truck for Tuesday. We ended up having to make two trips with the moving truck (luckily the house is only about 13 miles from the apartment). B was a Godsend on Tuesday. We definitely would not have been able to get nearly everything in and out of the truck without him. I also want to thank H and K for bringing over pizza for lunch (we probably wouldn't have eaten all day if it hadn't been for you two!), and for assisting us in loading the truck. While moving the furniture out of the apartment, we found out very quickly where our rodent friends enjoyed hiding when we let them run around (under both beds, the couch and behind the bookcase were lovely guinea pig and rabbit droppings- gross.). I guess that's what happens when you don't move your furniture for 3+ years in a tiny apartment... By 8pm, we had unloaded the truck for the final time, and L and I treated his parents and B to a well-deserved dinner. After returning the rental truck, and picking up L's car, we created a nest of blankets on the floor of the back living room, let out Dwight and got about 4 hours of fitful sleep.

Wednesday- L came home early from work (he wasn't feeling well), and it was a good thing that he did. My task for Wednesday was to completely clean the apartment so that it was in showing condition. I thought that it would just take a couple of hours on my own to get it done. Little did I know... even with our combined forces (yes I put the sick hubby to work), it took us over 3 hours to clean the apartment. After all of our hard work, we went to Target to pick up some stuff for the house and ended up getting a new console table and bookshelf for the front living room, and some other odds and ends that we had already realized that we needed (for me, the most important item was the step stool that enables me to be able to actually put things away in the kitchen, as the cupboards go all the way to the ceiling...). It was a long day, and turning on the space heater and jumping into our freshly made bed, we finally got some much-needed rest.

Thursday- I spent the WHOLE day unpacking, and I felt like I hadn't gotten anywhere. I woke up with Luke at 5:45am, and couldn't fall back asleep, so I spent that time putting together our new furniture and setting up the front living room. Now all we need is a couch and a large mirror and that room will be complete. My reward for finishing that room was a Christmas tree when L got home, so now our house smells like Christmas!

Friday (today)- Put more stuff away, moved all the empty cardboard boxes into the garage (recycling comes on Tuesday) and we finally got a visit from the Comcast guy, so now we're back online with the rest of the world. I walked about a mile around the neighborhood looking for a mailbox and finally got our Christmas cards sent out (if you don't get one in the next few days and attended our wedding, let me know, as I don't have your most current mailing address...)

The rest of the weekend will consist of working for my parents and continuing to unpack so that we're ready to host the first ever Christmas Eve party attended by both of our families :-)

P.S. I applaud you if you actually made it all the way through this post! Now that we've finally purchased our first home, I'll be writing a lot about cooking, DIY renovations, and just life in general. I'm also hoping to start using my camera to it's full potential and start documenting photographically, so be looking forward to that next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment