Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Five

I 'm starting to realize how the number of major changes that I've been through has been relatively few. This move into the new house will probably only be my 3rd or 4th major change in my life, and as I sit on the couch in my living room, I'm seeing that leaving this crappy apartment might take more of a psychological toll on me than I had originally thought. Every year, Luke and I discussed moving to a new apartment, but then when June would come around, we'd sign the intention to stay- not wanting the uncertainty of whether or not we could find a place to live by the time our lease was up, if the new place would accept our zoo without charging us an arm and a leg (our current apartment manager could care less about how many animals we have, and doesn't charge us a pet rent), etc. We figured that the only way that we could really move on from this place was if we bought a house where we can do whatever we want and now that part is coming true. There have been a lot of really great memories here (our first home together as a boy/girlfriend couple, engaged couple, and married couple, introducing M and B here, finding Darla the guinea pig, graduating from college, L getting his first grownup job, me getting into grad school for teaching, plus many many more), and it will be sad to leave them. The prospect of not having to hear strangers walking above my bed, or their shitty, loud, bassy music that they play at all hours without considering who might be sleeping keeps me packing! Thinking forward to all of the new memories we'll make in the new house makes me happy, so I know that moving is the right thing for us.

That being said, we've only got FIVE more days until we get the keys to our cute little bungalow! Only five more days until we are no longer residents of Hennepin County (a first for the both of us)! Only five more days until we can keep or cars parked in a garage! Only five more days until we have our own deck! Only five more days until we have 2 bathrooms! Only five more days until we pack up all of the stuff we've accumulated over the last 3 1/2 years into a truck and start our lives in a new city. Only five more days :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment