Sunday, May 2, 2010

MCRS

Last week, I was trained in as a volunteer as a rabbit socializer for the Minnesota Companion Rabbit Society (MCRS).  My job is to visit the Maplewood Petco once a week and take out the rabbits who are being housed in the hexes (if you are not familiar with Petco, the hexes are hexagonal shaped cages that they have at their stores to house rabbits and ferrets), socialize/exercise them, answer any questions people may have about the rabbits, and be an ambassador for the organization.  After my first day of volunteering, I am now the lead volunteer at my store (just a few more responsibilities, so not a lot more work than the basic volunteer position)!  So far, I've really enjoyed the organization and what I'm doing for the rabbits, though it doesn't seem like much, and I hope to do more and become even more active with MCRS.

Today was my second day with the buns, and I brought L along with me.  I was nervous that he thought that it would be dumb or lame, but he really liked it and told me that he'd like to continue going with me on Sunday mornings.  Despite the fact that he still won't let me get a dog yet, he definitely would have let me bring Teddi home right then and there if it had been possible (even the volunteers have to go through the same adoption process as others, so it's not actually possible to adopt straight from the store- they have to be adopted at an adoption event)! 

So here's my shameless plug for Teddi:  If you know of anyone who is considering adding a rabbit to their family, Teddi is the perfect choice for first time rabbit owners.  She is litter box trained, and loves to be pet (she especially loves being scratched on her back while she lies down).  She's a spunky gal who is not afraid to jump into your lap and is looking for her forever home. Visit her petfinder page here: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16112084

No comments:

Post a Comment