Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Brownies+Cookies=Brookies!

Ever since a friend showed me Bakerella's blog, I've been lusting over the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies she has featured on her website.  This evening I finally had the chance to take a stab at them and the results were amazing!

The recipe is simple, has few extra ingredients, and it's not very labor-intensive due to the fact that the recipe calls for the boxed mixes instead of making the brownie batter and the chocolate chip cookie dough from scratch (though you definitely could create this from scratch).  I believe this recipe originally came from the Betty Crocker website, hence the product placement from lovely Betty.

I started out by mixing the brownie batter per the instructions on the box, and then poured the batter into a lightly greased glass Pyrex 13x9 pan.  Then I combined the butter, the egg, and the chocolate chip cookie mix together to make the cookie dough.


Next, I spooned tablespoons of cookie dough into the brownie batter, making sure to press the dough into the batter a bit.  I was worried that there wouldn't be enough room for all the cookie dough, but I split up the last few tablespoons worth and spread them around.


Once it wass all tready, I put the pan in a 350 degree oven and baked the brookies for about 40 minutes, and let them cool down all the way.


The last step was to make the homemade chocolate ganache.  Bakerella's recipe called for 12oz. of semi-sweet chocolate chips, 6 tablespoons of butter, and 3/4 c. of heavy whipping cream.  I subbed half and half for heavy whipping cream, and reduced the amount of liquid to 1/2c. to make sure that the ganache wouldn't be too thin.  The ganache was poured and spread evenly around the top of the brookies, and then was left to set for about an hour.

As you can see in the picture below, L and I were too anxious to let the ganache set for any longer, so the chocolate on top was still a little drippy, but they still tasted excellent!


Verdict:  I would definitely give these an A+!  Not only were they very easy to make, they were delicious as well.  The only change I would make would be to make the cookie dough from scratch, but only because I prefer my homemade cookie dough to Betty's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment