Saturday, September 18, 2010

Scariest moment of my life

I was 100% convinced that there was an intruder in our bedroom last night.

I don't know how it came about, but after watching netflix in bed (nothing scary-just old episodes of King of the Hill), I rolled over in an attempt to get to sleep early to cure my exhaustion from a week of teaching.  I was half asleep when I heard a sound like someone had tripped or stepped on something in the room (near the foot of my bed), and then I saw what looked like the light of a cellphone screen projected on the wall, as if someone was trying to find their way around the room without turning on a light.  Then, I swear I felt someone sit down at the foot of my side of the bed.  When I slowly moved my feet, it felt like there was a body that my foot was touching.  At that point, I froze completely.  I couldn't move, and I could barely breath.  Since I was rolled facing the wall, the most I could do to try to wake L up was to poke and pinch at his back, but it wasn't working.  In my mind, I thought that maybe he was faking being asleep too, so that whoever in the room would just take our stuff and walk away.

A few minutes later, I was still frozen, and I was convinced that whoever is sitting at the edge of my bed could hear my heart pounding.  I have never been so scared in my life (especially after I realized that I don't have an easily accessible knife on my bedside table anymore).  After about 30 minutes of being completely still with the sound of my pulse in my ears, I realized that I needed to move my feet a little because they were starting to cramp.  I feigned a sleepy stretch, and then realized that there wasn't a mass near my feet anymore.  I took a chance and swept my feet across the bottom of the bed, and what ever I had convinced myself was there minutes ago, definitely wasn't there anymore.

I don't know what made my brain create this elaborate situation, but it was real enough to me that I actually felt the intruder sit down on the bed, and I legitimately thought that something was going to happen to either L or me.  Though, what I have learned from this is that I need to find myself a new knife to keep near my bed, and put my cellphone closer to the edge of the bedside table if an emergency actually does occur!

No comments:

Post a Comment